Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Our Peaceable Christmas Kingdom

                    The Peaceable Kingdom by Edward Hicks
                       Christmas breakfast consisted of fresh from the oven popovers, scrambled eggs and cheese with coffee, of course!!
                      During breakfast I got a text from Mindy, we were up to 13 baby goats!!  She knows I get excited about more goat's milk!!


     The pileated and crow came for breakfast.  I made a suet block just for them.

            The day before I took a feast down to the pasture for the deer.  The pumpkins I grew for autumn decorating get eaten in the winter.
     Look closely.  Can you see her?  Yep!! That's Baby at the deer block!
     I called her name, she looked up and came closer.  I did not see her mother, who I hope was nearby.  They are supposed to stay together for two years.
December 2012  While living in GA, I had a rufous hummingbird show up where the local bird group came out and banded her.   Here I am lucky enough to get another hummer spending winter at my house!!
    I went to the wood shed for a few logs to toss on the fire and heard that familiar buzz and could not believe a hummer was at my frozen feeder.
    I quickly made a fresh batch of food so she/he would have something fresh and warm to drink.  
    I contacted the local bird club and they hooked me up with Kevin. I've been sending photos trying to identify this hummer, he thinks it is a Rufous or Allens, but I need to get a closeup of the tail feathers, which I have not been able to do, so he may come with his assistant this weekend to come identify.  They did not mention banding.

    Yesterday was 60 degrees, I spent my birthday in the garden working on beds for spring.  My lettuce is looking awesome.  Some seeds arrived today that I will start inside.  Spring will be here before we know it, but on to New Year's Eve first!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment