Monday, January 23, 2017

Patina is Everything!

When at my painter's home to pay him for the week, he gave me this base to a bird bath because I was admiring it.  Lovely patina!  Even came with some moss.  I just so happen to have a top needing a base.

He also gave me this owl painting, not vintage, but well done and will probably go in the boathouse when painting is finished.  Right now it's in the man cave and doesn't look half bad!

Speaking of patina, there is a complex of little cabins across the main road where my painter lives just next to the stables where I get my manure.  I had seen a log cabin up on the main road, but once I parked and started looking around, I noticed four or five tiny cabins that once were rented when there were horse shows, but that was a looooong time ago. 

Of course, I start imagining what I could do with all these tiny out buildings, a little antiques store, Bob could have a tiny book shop, maybe a little tea room, the list goes on, but some are in such bad shape they would have to go the way of the bulldozer.

This one is on the main road next to a falling-down gas station that would definitely have to be bulldozed, but what a cute antiques store this would make.  (Linda, if you're reading this, maybe ???)

This one is in really bad shape.  These cabins were built in what looks to be a floodplain. 

The rock chimneys are beautiful!  The patina on the siding is beautiful.  I couldn't get close because of no trespassing signs, but I know who owns these and could find out a little more and just might. 



There is a main house in good shape that was bought and these just came along with the house.  Shaggy, my painter, said he remembers a few years back when it was sold.  Someone came and took out all the clawfoot tubs and antique sinks.  

Each one has an old rusty tin roof, lots of patina!




A girl can dream!!

Shaggy has started painting the trim and staining the walls of the boathouse, and I love the new look.  A color green that I would never use in my home, but fits the lake.  

The stain is Golden Oak, came out darker than I thought it would, but I really like it.  It gives it a rich, warm feeling.



There has been a lot of rain the past few days, but not the horrible storms expected, they stayed to the south.  Princess hates the rain or getting her toes wet.  She is checking out the status.  Don't think she's coming out today!

The fog is thick.  Glad I don't have to go up the mountain to Asheville until Wednesday when it should be dry, sunny and in the 60s!

No comments:

Post a Comment