Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Evidence of an Old Garden

                        Spent the weekend in the area in the front of the house toward the road and where my little dog graveyard is.  This area has been a work in progress for many years.  A massive area covered in wisteria vines that I can only work in during winter because of the blackberry canes and poison ivy.  I know there was a garden here at one point because of the water pipe and one massive viburnum that the power company killed when they sprayed.  They gave me compensation, but nothing near what that old bush would have cost.
 
                       I'm leaving all the hollies and would like to plant red crepe myrtles once I get enough of the area cleared.  

                        I now have a decent cleared path, you can see the farmhouse in the distance, and I will continue to work my way toward the road.
                       Lo and behold, I see this!!  A very old rose bush under a canopy of hollies only getting dappled sun.  Bob thought it looked like a fresh cut, but I can't imagine I would have cut this last year when working, but I am reading up on transplanting this to a sunny spot at the farmhouse, and it will have to be done today with the warm weather coming. 


The deodara cedar limbs were cut, and I was counting the rings, about 48!
                     Wisteria vine pile. The trees and hollies are covered in this, the wisteria is in bloom right now, but it chokes the life out of the other plants, the reason why I am now training it on the fencelines.
                        Aside from the rose, the only other thing I have found is a small azaela, probably a recent volunteer, so not something old.
                        Maybe a viburnum seedling from the one the power company killed?  Wouldn't that be wonderful?!!!
                            The last of my seeds arrived from Baker Creek and Floret. The packaging is so pretty, I'm keeping this.
             Floret is a fairly new flower farm in WA state and such a nice company, sent a postcard with the seeds, and everytime you place an item in the cart it says thank you.  I like that.  I watch her videos at night to relax.
        These seeds will go in my "car greenhouse" I love how well that works, but we had a cold spell where the temps were in the 30s at night and frost today, so I have to wait until it's a bit warmer at night.
        Inside my seedlings have been moved from the heat mats in my potting shed to the sunroom where they are growing fast! 
   Peacock fern is in the homemade terrarium and cuttings of coleus, azalea and camellia are rooting.  So many projects, so little time!

No comments:

Post a Comment