Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Roman & Princess Together Again

                            Last Tuesday, Sept. 14, we said goodbye to Princess.  Her battle with liver cancer had won, it was time for her to meet Roman at the Rainbow Bridge.  The loss of three chows in five months has been a tough one, especially on Geisha who is 11 and now the only chow left.  We haven't had only one chow in 13 years.  The stress affected her in a way that we ended up at the ER on Friday night at 8:30, only one vet on duty, didn't get seen until 1 am and got home at 2:30 am.  Thankfully my friend Catrina who is a vet tech was there, and I was getting texts as to what was going on since you are not allowed in due to covid.  This photo is when we first got Roman and Princess to foster.  They had been separated for two months and put in kennels and Roman was not a happy boy.  He looks pretty intense in this photo, but Princess always had a smile. 
 
This photo was the last time they were together under Roman's bush. I can't tell you how much I miss Roman, he was "my" dog and no one else's.  His nickname was the Beast as he weighed 96 pounds and my back is recovering from lifting him.


    The next photos are in happier, younger and healthier times.  We miss you Princess.  Only consolation is you are with Roman again.






           This photo is my all-time favorite.  A traffic jam at the doggy door, and the look on Roman's face is priceless.  He always deferred to Princess as she was the alpha.  The females usually are, but isn't that the way it's supposed to be? lol
             This little guy, and I mean little, only 42 lbs. , will be Geisha's new little brother!  We saw him a few months ago, he was a stray and they were trying to find his home.  He was a backyard breeding dog, and they did not want him back.  Redlands Rescue in Miami took him in.  I inquired about him, but we could not adopt until Princess passed, I did not feel that would be right.  So in the meantime he was adopted.  When they went to neuter him, they found out he had a very bad bacterial infection, an STD, which I didn't even know dogs got, and he had surgery last week.  He will be on two weeks of antibiotics and rechecked by vet.  The other adopters dropped out and Junior of the rescue contacted me. He wanted me to adopt him initially and seems all that happened in the meantime was meant to be as Princess had passed when I got the call.
    I'm making arrangements to go to Florida Oct. 2.  Going to leave on Friday and spend the night in Savannah in the garden district, hopefully go to the beach for a few hours, then drive the next morning to my friend Valerie's house to see her new place and dogs, and my friend Brooke will bring this little guy to Jacksonville.  Right now they call him Chewbacca, but we will give him a proper name once we meet him.  I just hope Geisha likes him.  The videos below are Junior, who is a professional groomer, showing me how sweet Chew is.  Junior is from Brazil, so when we talk on the phone it's hard to understand most of what he's saying, so the videos helped. Chew is only two years old, so he should bring a lot of energy to this quiet house.


No comments:

Post a Comment