Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Berries Blooms & Birds

                            Strawberries are in at the local farms.  They are always here by Mother's Day.
                             I buy enough to make a dessert and to freeze for summer smoothies.
 
                      It's been a really long time since I made strawberry shortcake in a vintage iron pan that I got at one of the Heart of Country antiques shows in Nashville many years ago.

               What I like about this pan is the indention in the middle of the heart cake that holds the strawberries and cream.
                      Kind of overdid it here LOL, but it was so good!
 
                              In the garden the foxgloves are in bloom, pink is my favorite color!  Reminds me of my winter ski jacket in high school, which had to be pink!

                        Poppies in my wildflower garden in the pasture.


                I transplanted this viburnum in the fall, I was surprised it bloomed this spring.

                     All my beds are finally in place and filled.  I now have all the seeds in, so this should be a great cutting garden.  The deer, rabbits and rodents in the pasture won, I have moved to the front yard where they cannot destroy my flowers!
     All the birds are returning. The hummingbirds never left.  Goldfinches.

     Rose breasted grosbeak. Purple martins have returned to the houses in the pasture. 


   Last week was the Mud Creek yard sale.  Up at 5 am to get in line by 7 am.  It was well worth it!
                       Found this old toy bear that fishes and it works!


                    Crosstitch afghan.
    One of the reasons I haven't posted is I've been to the vet a lot.  We found the cause of Princess's panting, she has liver cancer.  Right now she's eating well and wagging her tail.   She has trouble getting down, sometimes seems uncomfortable, but is on pain meds and as long as she is happy, it is not her time.
          Another reason for being MIA, rescue has been insane the past couple of weeks. So many chows in shelters that are medical cases. This is Matilda in Memphis, TN.  She had bad teeth and an eye that needed to be removed.  Did a fundraiser for her, she is out with rescue, but still at the vet, but doing much better.
    This is River, another from Memphis.  He had what we thought was a broken femur, but have come to learn he was shot with a bb which is lodged in his hip causing pain and impedes his walking.  He also had an upper respiratory infection. bladder infection, and is heartworm positive.  One vet said to let him go, the second opinion did not agree and we believe once healed he will be able to live a few years in a home.  I have a Gofundme up right now and we are at $2000!

 
        We got Gus out of Florida. He had to have four teeth removed, he was in pain and would not eat.  This is after, he is doing fantastic and he was transported to PA where he is now in a foster home.
     Matilda after surgery of her eye removal.
  Another out of Florida, Chenille (I got to name her!)  sat in a Tampa shelter for 21 days and did not eat because of pneumonia.  So underweight, loaded with tapeworms.  Vet said it was the worst case he had ever seen and the worst pneumonia he had ever seen.  She spent days in an oxygen tent at the ER vet.  Her bill was over $3000.  I have a Gofundme for her, but I have only raised $1570 so far, but have gotten other donations sent in. She is now in a foster home in FL.
                 Jillian's owner died in NC.  She and Lucky below, have lived their lives outside on chains.  We got rescue for them, temp foster in NC and they will be going to their permanent foster in Delaware on Friday (if there's gas!).  
               Poor Lucky, 15 years old and lived his life on this chain.  He was filthy, required three baths! Not a chow, but didn't matter.  We think he is a border collie mix.  Very sweet despite the life he's had.
                   I've been slammed for weeks between dogs, yard work and the boathouse guests.  Time for a much needed hike.  I have my eye on this trail at Chimney Rock called the Outcroppings Trail.  If I have enough gas, I may go on Sunday!!
  And as an aside, sadly, I said goodbye to my beautiful rug.  A girl in California begged me for two weeks to sell it to her and when she offered $500, I had to give in.  I rolled it up in plastic, took it to FedEx, she paid $300 to have it shipped, and she is so happy to have it!  She is going to send a photo of it in her home with her dogs on it after it comes back from the professional cleaner.  We both are dog lovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment