Thursday, September 3, 2020

Travels: 15 Year Anniversary of Katrina

Wow, 15 years already.  I didn't realize I have been in rescue for that long.  I remember trying to get someone to go with me because I knew it was going to be a scary trip with no power or gas on the 9 hour drive, but I went anyway and stayed 10 days in a tent.  That huge white tent is the FEMA tent, but I pitched my own, not well I might add, as you can see the wind blew it over while I was working one day!
The FEMA tent was packed with girls from all over the country and Canada.  I prefered my solitary tent not realizing that at 4 am a lot of the first responders would be getting on the road and headlights would be lighting up my tent and seeming as though they were going to be running me over.  Sleeping on gravel and no shower for 10 days was not the highlight of my trip!
Every morning we would get our work instructions.  I ended up at the large equestrian center where thousands of animals were housed and would take owners through looking for their lost pet.  I heard so many sad stories of how people would put them in the attic or in a garage and a window would be broken or a fence down and they lost their pet.  Many never imagined it would be a storm like this and they would be home in a day or two.   
 This is what they had to come home to, and so many pets perished. More would have perished if not for the Humane Society of the US and many fire and rescue people coming to help.  It was something like I had never seen before and hope to never see again.

Groups would be assigned to streets and check each home from top to bottom, and the writing is from different groups looking for different things and letting other groups know what was or was not found.  I didn't want to go into the city with search and rescue and preferred staying where the dogs were housed to help there.  I heard some awful stories, and think I made the right decision.
     One of the lucky dogs found in an attic, but skin and bones.
Three girls from CA that I got to know and become friends with.  We stayed in touch for a very long time after Katrina.
    While working in Baton Rouge, there was word there was a need for help in a small town on the coast called Belle Chase, Plaquines Parrish.  The town was evacuated and everyone left their pet with the vet, who had hundreds of animals running free, and they were just throwing food on the ground.  FEMA and St. Louis Fire & Rescue and a lot of us with HSUS went to this town to set up kennels, vet the animals and work from dusk till dawn.  I was amazed at the hard working women I encountered of all ages.  We were on a mission and accomplished a lot!
Carlotta and Wheeler LaLonde invited a group of us to stay at their home.  There were about 20 of us. Wheeler made dinner, Carlotta would make breakfast.  I loved their Cajun accent. I pitched my tent in their yard and was eaten alive by mosquitoes! Remember Kathy Ireland?  These are her inlaws!  
New Orleans in a better time.  Long before Katrina, Bob and I made a trip to the French Quarter, a beautiful and interesting place to visit, a place like no other!
    Just beautiful and very charming!


Brunch at the Court of Two Sisters.  Bob looks pretty happy about his meal!
                              We look so young!  Big hair was in!

                               Outside the inn where we stayed.  I loved that dress, Laura Ashley courderoy!  Hope to return again one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment