Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Udders, Udders Everywhere!


So . . . I get a call Friday night from my friend Debra who is working at her county's state fair, she is a food service inspector, and tells me if I can get there on Saturday, we can get as much free goat's milk as we can carry out.

At $15/gallon, no need to ask me twice!  I went through the house like my hurricane namesake and found as many plastic jugs that I could empty into Ball jars and pails with lids.

Left the house at noon on Saturday for my two-hour drive to where the fair was, and didn't get home until 10:00 that night.

We both felt bad for the goats having to carry that load all day long until judging.  They have to have full udders to be judged.  I asked Debra if all the judges are male . . . my joke went over her head, she was tired.



Last year the judging started a lot earlier and once judged, the goats are milked so they can travel home, but it was slow going and instead of 3:00 milk didn't start coming in until 5:00.


It was a hot day, and even hotter in the barns, but the goats were a lot of fun and there were so many different breeds.  I can see why people like them, they are very friendly and have personality!



These little guys were the first milked.

This guy is sound asleep.  Guess it's been a rough day for him, too.


Debra fell in love with a goat named "Arie" or maybe Arie fell in love with Debra!

These two!  Debra is so cute and tiny and photogenic.  She even looks good in 88 degrees!



Now she is thinking of adding goats to her farm.


Sweet faces



They all dress in white for the judging.

Blue-eyed beauty

Goat or camel?


We spent hours back in the milking room.  



Well worth it!  Debra also got milk the night before.  I think I got about $150 worth, maybe more.  We are going to have a better system in place next year and maybe another freezer to store more.  There is another show in a few weeks in another town . . . maybe?

Taking in some sun



It was a fun day and I got to spend a lot of time catching up with Debra, which we don't get to do too often living a few hours apart, but we are in constant contact regarding rescue.  The next day she commented that we didn't get a photo together.  I do everything I can not to get my photo taken lol.  What we do for our dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment