Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Bathroom Surprise!


Guess what I found under these ugly bathroom floor tiles!  Yes, a 3-inch concrete base.

I started chipping away before the tile guy was to come and do an estimate to re-tile the floor in a concrete-looking tile. 

The black is just the plastic that the tile was stuck to and was coming off with a wire brush. Tedious work for sure.


You can see the tile I wanted, matte concrete finish, which I now don't have to buy "if" that's a big "IF" we can get this white concrete off down to the gray concrete and buff it and seal it.  


Unfortunately, the tile guy doesn't do concrete and with me taking up the old tiles and buying the new tiles, this tiny 30x30 sq. ft bathroom was going to cost $700!!


So this weekend we bought the tools to start working on this floor and I told Ricardo and Paco that I would be calling them to lay tile once we messed the floor up. Could we really get away with not paying for the floor?  We'll see!

Jake and his brother were here all week painting outside and inside.  This is the bathroom I scraped, sanded, and painted for a month, and it looked so nice when finished.  Then a month later the paint started to bubble and crack.  Jake put in the retro exhaust fan, which I now have to get an electrician to hook up because the wiring is so old in the attic he didn't want to mess with it, so here we go again, the electrician is two months out.

Ben sanded and skim coated with joint compound and then primed with oil base primer, so it's now ready for me to paint yet again.  This is the smallest room in the house and has taken the most work and money.

Outside is a mess with paint chips everywhere and stuff everywhere and putty on the windows.  I swear the more "help" I get the more work I have to do when they leave.

In the end it's worth it to have it look so nice.

I didn't let them paint the wood shed ceiling. I love the old whitewash, wish I had that everywhere. Kind of like Joanna Gaines with her shiplap t-shirts. I need whitewash t-shirts!

So I have spent this week washing windows, painting the bits they didn't paint like gates and columns and organizing the wood shed.

I still have the windows and doors to do a second coat on.

I think they are tired of seeing me at the paint store.  Tom is mixing up colors that are not on charts, but I am tweeking and trying to get the perfect "brick" color.


The wood shed is ready for wood instead of a bunch of stuff stored.  We have that tree that fell in the pasture, so next on the list is to get Jason to split it and bring it on up for the winter.

Our side door into our bedroom.


At least there are pretty things in the garden, the camellias are starting to bloom.


You would not believe how wonderful these tiny little ileagnus flowers smell and we have thousands!

No comments:

Post a Comment