Friday, April 8, 2016

Angry Deer, Owls and More!

The sky looks different today, and tomorrow we are supposed to have record lows, the mountains may get snow, so tonight all my plants and seedlings will be covered.  Happens every year.

Starting off to be a good weekend.  On my way to a church yard sale I have been waiting for, but I'm an hour late.  Hope something is left!

Jackpot!  I love this old town, so many great finds to be had.  A nice pile of granny square throws, old doilies, big slabs of beeswax, a huge hammered tin serving platter, amber glass cake stand, some owls, and the things I like the most . . . two old heavy cement bootscraps, one is a frog, the other a hedgehog.  Everything from .25 to $3.  Can't beat that!

The frog's brush will come out and he just may become a planter for moss.

A new owl for the mantle, the tall guy in the background.

Two foil owls and an owl candleholder from a friend as a housewarming gift.  I guess the word is out that I like owls.

My two heirloom roses arrived from Texas today, Eden and Glamis Castle which is a David Austin rose in pure white which I have always loved.

Everything still looking bright and beautiful.  Hoping the cold snap does not turn everything brown.

Wisteria is everywhere.  I even found some pale lavender, almost white wisteria down by my mailbox.

Okay.  So for the angry deer part.  I erected a great deer feeder before winter, a pvc feeder that I saw on Pinterest.  One morning I spied a huge buck laying down by the stream with a huge rack.  If only I had had my camera with me.  I wanted to lure him back, so I erected this feeder, never to see him again, only groups of does in the morning for the dogs to chase.

At first I thought they just knocked it down and maybe it rolled into the stream, but the main part of the feeder was nowhere to be found.  Down in the stream in the sand, there was the evidence, the bear is out of hibernation, and he STOLE my feeder.

The next day I saw Roman down by the stream sitting so still and watching something.  As I started down the hill, I could hear the bear run down the stream, he has not been back since, so no photos.  Safe to say I will put up a new feeder next winter and take it down earlier before Mr. Bear can rip another out of the ground and carry it off.

On the rescue front, this is Nick.  Bob brought him home from Georgia last weekend and I took him to my friend Vickie on the other side of NC the next day.  

This is Jade, Vickie's new chow puppy.  Vickie says she's a terrorist.  

And this is Boe, a 12 year old lab that the Lancaster rescue wanted and I was to drive to Virginia this weekend, but that all changed when a local rescue in Atlanta took him.  I am really glad about that, didn't want to drive 10 hours, but would to save him.  Now I can concentrate on the tiny farmhouse and get more things accomplished.  The electrician showed this week and put up a few antique lights.  I'm thrilled, it's coming together, and my guests will be here soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment