Saturday, November 22, 2014

Bargain Lamps!

I must say, I have never been a big fan of lamps. They always seem to be on a table in front of a window, and I never understood why you would want to block the view.  Moving into an old home, there were no overhead lights or recessed lighting, which I love. We plan to have spotlights put up in the living room vaulted ceiling, but we needed to see in the dark until we get that done, so the big lamp hunt began! 

When in PA visiting family, I went to my mother's local equivalent of the Goodwill, and I must say it has some quality buys.  There are lamps galore at great prices, and not the ginger jar lamps you find at most thrift stores. A lot of them are antiques.  This ceramic/brass beauty was only $12.  I found the silk shade that fit it perfectly at my local Habitat for Humanity store for $10.  Total of $22 for such a beautiful lamp.  Can't beat that!


This smaller brass lamp was given to me by my aunt.

Another thrift shop find, etched glass with silver plated base, which I have on my nightstand and will match nicely with my mercury glass collection once I get my shelf up to place them on.  A T-Day project for Bob!

This one was a little more than I like to spend, a whopping $25, but I had in the back of my mind that if it didn't look right, I could sell it on Ebay.  Well, I can't part with it right now, just too pretty.


Not a fan of lamps, and never have been a fan of brass or gold tones, but this room screamed brass when I brought in some brass candlesticks that looked so good with the wallpaper.  This is a tall reading lamp for what will become Bob's library/reading room.  This was another find at my mom's local thrift store for $10. It is big and heavy and will look great once I find another bargain shade.

This is the antique wallpaper in the reading room.  It has a metallic background and the deep gold ferns are velvet.  It's a keeper!  I was looking for a place to get some candlesticks out of the way as you can see on top of the cupboard, and the brass just struck a chord.  Funny how things happen like that.  


One of my own lamps I got for a Christmas present a decade ago from Ethan Allen.  Looks antique, though.

This marble barley twist lamp was made by an artist in Virginia.  It was a pair, and a friend and I split the cost and each got a lamp.  The shade came from a favorite shop of handcrafted items in Atlanta. It's beeswax and wire. The lamp is being rewired.  Another T-Day project for Bob.  I think we're good with lamps for right now, but I will be looking for a few for My Tiny Farmhouse in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment