Thursday, March 27, 2014

Renovation: Weeks 2 & 3, Part 1

This is Old Howard Gap Road, which leads to my little dirt road, Page Farm Road.  Nice view coming and going!
Pulled up to the house to find Nitro, one of the carpenter's dogs guarding the house.
My friend, Debra, who moved from Atlanta to Tryon 11 years ago came for her first tour of the home.  I got her approval!
The garage is now being enclosed for Lord Roman, Princess Maile, and some of Bob's books.  There will be two windows and a wood floor laid instead of the concrete floor originally planned.  Boxwoods will eventually go in front of this wall and a trellis in the center.
Jim was on the roof pointing to the new skylight and so excited, he wanted me to get right into the living room to see it.
And here it is!  The skylight is in, the ceiling ends are sheetrocked, the ceiling fan is in, it's all coming together in the living room!  Notice that the cross beams are now gone.  They were visually disturbing to the eye, and not weight-bearing, so out they came!
Perfect!  Centered just where I wanted it so that when sitting on the sofa in front of a fire you can look up and see all the pretty old brick!
And the kitchen skylight was going in while I was there.  I was not able to get my vaulted ceiling in the kitchen because of the roof pitch, so it is boxed in and not as visible, but it floods my work area with sunlight.
In the kitchen, half of the cabinets have been ripped out, my dishwasher will go in that space with the stove next to it.  Now I have space for one of my antique cupboards and my table and chairs.  The place is a real mess on this visit, lots going on.
Two huge butcher blocks were saved from the old kitchen.  I will clean them and put them to good use.
The big farmhouse sink will also be a keeper.  I already have my new stainless farmhouse fixtures and once cleaned up, I can determine whether it will need re-glazing in the future, but for now it works for me.  I also found my discontinued Silestone countertop in Amazon Grey Leather in a warehouse in Atlanta.  I have been carrying around my sample piece for five years, and I'm so proud that I found it, even when Home Depot said it was impossible.  Never trust Home Depot!
So here we are back in the living room.  Part 2, which I will post in a day or so, will take us down the hallway to the bedrooms and bath then out the door to see what the fencer is up to.  Also, my builder found an old box in the attic and I will show you what we found!!

No comments:

Post a Comment