Friday, October 8, 2021

I LOVE Florida!

Try as I may to sneak out of town for a few days, a rescue got wind of my travels and asked me to take two dogs along with me down to Jacksonville.  Both were not a year old and didn't make a peep for the seven hour ride.

 
    Passing fields of cotton in bloom on the way.

    The Old Schoolhouse Inn at night on my way back from dinner.
    Made it in time for cocktail hour!  

               I sat at the bar and a group of local ladies were enjoying cocktails and were very friendly, I had someone to talk to while relaxing.
   My cocktail was "The Teacher's Aide" and the bar is named the Principal's Office.  This was the perfect hotel!  
   The hallway to my room was lined with old photos of school days past.  


After my cocktail I headed out to walk the island and get some dinner.  This is the old courthouse. I would have loved to see the inside and maybe even have worked there!



  Another historic inn.
    Lush gardens.
  Sea air.


        Bartram traveled.  I have visited his home in PA.



Up early the following morning, made it to the beach just in time for sunrise!

  A small crowd gathered, a lot of people with cameras to catch the sunrise.  People were doing yoga on the beach, others already on their boards in the water.
   I wish I had an extra day to sit on the beach, smell the warm salt air, feet in the sand.  I need to get to the ocean every once in a while.








  Arrived at Val's cute little cottage around 9 am. Had time to stop for a coffee on the way.  This is her 1942 bungalow that she, too, has been renovating.  Our houses are both from the same era.  I have been following her renovation and she has done so much work.
She just laid these stepping stone paths herself! I have to admit I'm impressed.  Perfectly laid!! I know how hard that is with the stone paths I have been working on.
      This is Valerie with the biggest mask I have ever seen and we both got a laugh, but she is wearing it because it helps her allergies.  I have to say, she is the ONLY person I saw in Florida wearing one! 
        This is my God dog Rolo.

 She recently adopted Rolo from George in MS.  I have gotten Val many a chow. She was adopting seniors like me, but we both needed a break from doggy hospice and losing them, we both got young ones and now are saying "What were we thinking?!!"

This is my God dog "Zuri" who came from Chap's in Atlanta recently.
This is my God dog "KoKo" who is the last of the oldies at 11, just like my Geisha.
   Val rode down with me to Palm Coast to meet Brooke who brought Kodiak up from Miami.  He is a sweet loving boy, just hyper as all get out!  The terrible twos!!
Brooke and Kodiak, me and Val.
     He was such a good boy for the long drive home.  I can't wait until his beautiful coat grows in.  When Junior at the rescue told me he gave him schnauzer legs and a pom face, I was like NOOOOOO!!! Chows should never be shaved, but he had no choice, his coat was a total mess.
    Well, Bob has his chow.  He loves men, which is unusual for chows.  I came home from errands yesterday and Bob had him loose with Geisha. He has a talent for getting dogs together, whereas I'm nervous about dog fights.  If we can get through the terrible twos, I think we'll make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment