Friday, January 29, 2021

Crewel Embroidery versus Needlepoint

       Now that I've found my purpose for the tiny farmhouse with the bamboo forest behind it, I've been thinking of what direction to go when I renovate it.  Right now I have an American Colonial theme going with the portraits on the walls and the tole painted lamps, but I'd like to make it more of a garden house, a theme to go with the bamboo forest bathing. This crewel work above is just what I would love to have on the walls, but it's $300 on ebay, so I'm going to start looking locally in the shops for ferns and bamboo and bonsai, everything green.
    I just picked this up at the church thrift store.  Sarah was there and pulled me into the warehouse to let me search for afghans and I spied this and the cardinal below.  I didn't have time to go through boxes and boxes of linens looking for afghans, so she is going to put those aside for me.  Nice to be friends with people in high places!  I love this little bonsai and larger ones are what I'm on the lookout for. 
     I was talking to my mom about these pieces and she wanted to know what crewel embroidery looked like versus needlepoint, so these are some good examples.  They're more free form and artistic than needlepoint. 
                                      
   I have a few pieces of crewel for sale in my Etsy shop. This one is from the '70s and a really beautiful piece that I keep thinking I should save for the farmhouse, but it's really not the green theme I'm hoping to go with.  I'm surprised it hasn't sold.                               
                                     
     Another of a log cabin.                                    
             Another one with an Americana theme.           
                                       
         I also have these needlepoint pieces in my shop.  This is from the '80s, it's a beautiful piece of work, but I lean more toward crewel work than needlepoint where the whole canvas is covered in an angled stitch.                              
                                      
     Another of fruit.                                     
                          
    Another still life.  So I hope this lesson in crewel versus needlepoint helps you and you find some awesome pieces for me at New Life!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment