Saturday, October 3, 2020

Trip To Mount Mitchell

     On the way to Mount Mitchell on the Blue Ridge Parkway, the "hot oil" light came on in the Jeep.  We had never seen that before, so Mount Mitchell was not meant to be.
     Luckily we had climbed 3300 feet and were at Craggy Gardens where we could let the car cool and make our way down back home.  
     We had another 3300 feet to go to get to Mount Mitchell, the highest peak in the Eastern US.
     Some leaves are starting to turn, but not many.  The temp dropped about 20 degrees.  It was a beautiful clear day.
      The Blue Ridge Mountains never disappoint!
     The trails are lush with ferns and views.
       This photo that I am using as my facebook cover, was the inspiration to go find masses of ferns to photograph.  I asked a local friend who hikes all the time if she knew where I could go to find them, but she didn't have a specific spot and was going to ask her friends in her mushroom group.
      I can now tell her I found the place, they just weren't turning color yet and until we get a new Jeep, I doubt we'll be making the trip again soon.










     A lot of hikers and a lot of dogs today.  
      A group with a drone having some fun, Bob got in on the action.




       Living in the foothills looking up at the mountains, sometimes you just want to get to the top!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment