Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Grave Gardeners

I'll admit it, I have been a fan of CBS Sunday Morning from its inception in the '70s.  Considered an "old people's tv show" I find it to be educational and interesting.  This past month one story was on the Grave Gardeners at The Woodlands Cemetery in Philadelphia.  It is a place I will visit on my next trip home and wished there was such a group here in Tryon. Click on the highlighted "The Woodlands" to go to their website and blog to read more.
 The Woodlands
A lot of the graves are French, made in the form of a planter.  Each person gets a "planter" and must plant flowers to coincide with the year of the grave.


In the main building at the Woodlands, 200 year old seed packets were found in the floorboards when renovating.  I have always loved historic cemeteries, such as the one I would visit in Atlanta, Oakland Cemetery.
 The Woodlands
Tryon actually has a small historic cemetery, so off we went to see if there were any French graves.



So far, a lot of lambs.  Evidently a lot of children.




This was as close as we could find to a French planter grave.  This cemetery was surprisingly unkempt.


These photos were taken before my camera died and went to the shop.  I need to get back to Asheville to pick it up.  I had planned on doing that for a garden tour this weekend in the Victorian section of Asheville, but that was not to be.  My back was thrown out picking up my old dog, couldn't do the drive.  Just hoping I can drive two hours next weekend, have a weekend planned with rescue friends.

Now Blooming:  Chickory

Goose Neck Loostrife

Monarda (Bee Balm)

Queen Anne's Lace

In rescue this week:  Charlie was left in an apartment when his owner fell ill and was admitted to the hospital.  He was there for three weeks before anyone knew.  After a lot of frantic coordinating, Charlie is now with a friend in Atlanta awaiting his trip to NJ to his rescue.

No comments:

Post a Comment