Monday, September 21, 2026

Memoirs of My Geisha & My Wolf

Took a long time to sit down and do this post, now a year and a half later. I waited to find a red girl chow rescue puppy for almost two years with no luck. Then I saw Geisha, problem was she was in California. Bob flew to Sacramento and brought her home on the plane in a carrier under the seat. My little California girl!
 
She was with the now defunct Sierra Foothills Chow Rescue, but I still have contact with her foster mom Kathi Duran who, like me, still helps rescue chows. 

Sweetest little chow girl in the chow world!

Panda hated Geisha when we first brought her home, but they became inseparable.

When she was young, she loved water. I would catch her wading in a marshy area we had and she acquired the name "Swamp Geisha".  I still have her football to remember her by.

She loved hanging with her lizards on the breezeway or letting the birds groom her back and take her fur for nests.
The seniors: Geisha, Bamboo II and Panda.
                                                      Grinch Feet!!
Bad hair day!!

She lost three of her friends within months of each other, she was the only chow left out of seven at age 12. I drove to Miami to adopt a little blue boy we named Kody Kakes. He was two years old and a terror. He would do zoomies and roll Geisha. She became afraid of him, so two weeks later Bob drove him back to his rescue in Miami. At least I got to visit friends and go to the beach, but I didn't have a chow friend for her and she was depressed. Then I saw Timber on Facebook and I knew he was the one!! 
We always wanted a malamute, what could be more perfect than a chowamute? Both very stubborn breeds and he was! Ten years old and such a great boy! He was wonderful and Geisha instantly loved him.
Like they say in the Army . . . nuts to butts.

Definitely a snow dog. First good snow and plunged his head right into a drift!  Never too cold for a chowamute!
He loved his land and to roam. He felt free. Malamutes like huskies love to travel and he did as much as he could the first year with us. He could have been older than 10, there was no way to know. His owner passed and he ended up on the streets of Charlotte.
Both Geisha and Timber were "fluffers" so there were always blankets around and I would constantly be "defluffing" so they could refluff. It was a constant job!

I love big paws!
He loved his stuffies. His favorite was a rabbit that I still have.
Timber watching Geisha at his food bowl, he was not thrilled, but was polite.
Only had you four years, but I really loved you!


Geisha passed May 2nd at 14 1/2 years old from cancer on the knee and ten days later on May 12th Timber passed at 14 years old with a cancerous mass in his mouth. It was a bad month. The house was never so quiet. I had major traveling plans, got my passport, but there was a 10 month old chow in Asheville that needed a home and another in Kentucky that I said I would foster, so the Canada trip is on hold for now.  One day I hope to see all my dogs again, especially Geisha and Timber, they were special!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you had each other. But sad for you too.

    ReplyDelete